Extremely Rare Pedersen Carbine (R32124)
This extremely rare .276 Pedersen caliber Vickers-Armstrong Ltd. Pedersen Self-Loading Carbine, Serial Number 263, was manufactured circa 1932. The Pedersen self-loading rifles and carbines were developed due to interest shown by the U.S. Army in adopting a semi-automatic infantry rifle following WWI. In 1923, the Ordnance Department awarded John Pedersen a contract to develop a semi-automatic rifle. In 1928, the Ordnance Department tested his design and recommended it for adoption. In 1930, Pedersen contracted with the English firm Vickers-Armstrong Ltd. to manufacture approximately 200 rifles and 50 carbines for testing, all chambered in his .276 rimless Pedersen cartridge. However, in 1931, after initial testing, the Infantry Board recommended that the Army develop the T3 semi-automatic rifle designed by John Garand and manufactured by Springfield Armory. After the Army's reversal, only a very limited number of rifles and carbines were produced with most sold to China, Portugal and Japan. Japan was the only country to actually produce and test prototype semi-automatic rifles based on this delayed-blow back toggle mechanism. The carbines all have the following distinctive features: (1) 10 round box magazine loaded with en-bloc clips, (2) a fine adjustable, 1/2 minute rear sight, (3) unique 22 inch barrel with spiral cooling fins, (4) perforated metal hand guard, (5) sliding bar safety in the bolt, (6) and the short carbine length stock. The metal components have a dull military blue finish, and the one-piece, black walnut stock is oil finished. The left side of the receiver is roll-stamped: "PEDERSEN SELFLOADER PA" over "VICKERS-ARMSTRONGS LTD.". The serial number "263" is stamped on the right rear of the receiver. The top of the sliding bar safety is marked "REDY" on the left side and "SAFE" on the right side. An encircled "C (over) 2" is stamped on the top of the receiver. Early Birmingham nitro proofmarks (used until 1925) are stamped on the top of the front edge of the bolt and the left, rear side of the receiver. This is a high quality, well-finished carbine with finely milled components. The Pedersen Self-Loading rifle and carbine were the primary competitors to the T3 semi-automatic rifle developed by John C. Garand and, as such, is a key piece in the evolution of the M1 Garand rifle and inter war U.S. military rifle development. The condition is overall excellent with approx. 98% of the original blue finish with the intrnaal components still in the white as originally manuvactured. the markings and proofs are clear and sharp. The bore is excellent. he one-piece walnut stock is excellent with only very light handling wear showing. This fine Pedersen Self-Loading carbine would be an important addition to your advanced collection of U.S. military or British rifles.